Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Last Day of SOS Children's Village Community Service

For the past two years, I have participated in the SOS Children Village Community Service Activity held at my school. Through this activity I have taught two children, Thilini and Harsha, to read, speak, and write English. It has been a wonderful experience to see them grow throughout the course of my IB Diploma program.

I personally have never been very fond of children, but with my exposure to Thilini and Harsha, and therefore never imagined that I would come to enjoy teaching Thilini and Harsha as much as I do. They have been wonderful to teach and their innocence is very soothing to me. It is all these things which makes stopping this activity as difficult as it is. However, it is necessarily, in order for me to have ample time to prepare for my exams, which are in only a little over a month's time.

I even made goodbye cards for each of my children. I am not the best at artistic things, but I felt that i should have, and genuinely wanted to, especially after the wonderful cards the two of them had made me during Christmas time.

Through my participation in this activity over the past 2 years I have Increased my awareness of my own strengths and areas for growth, because I never imagined that I would become as personally attached to "my kids" as I did, and I also became aware of communication skills which I never thought I had. It has also allowed me to engage in an issue of global importance as it allowed me to teach a language to those less fortunate that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment